Sunday, October 24, 2010

Response to Brignull's paper

The authors performed qualitative study on people's behaviors around large public displays in parities. Qualitative studies are good at pointing out the existence of a phenomenon: Momentum is required for people to start playing around with public displays. And from the interviews they identified a few key factors considered by a person when deciding to interact with a display:

  • How long an interaction takes
  • What they will get out of it
  • What steps are involved
  • If it will be a comfortable experience
  • If there is a quick let out, where they can walk away gracefully, without it disturbing the ongoing public activity

I feel the factors are highly linked to those particular settings. I wonder if the result would be different for occasions such as subway hallways. I also wonder if systems responding to people's presence can at some level "forced" people to be involved in a public display. Therefore would the transition between focal activities and interaction activities become easier since the user is already involved when he realized it.

What is a public display? Is it a display can be used by the public or a display can be seen by the public? Can a small display on the parking meter be considered a public display? Many displays in the public today is that it can be seen and used by the public, but as soon as someone operating it, the display becomes a personal display. I feel the meaning of public display is a little unclear.