Saturday, October 2, 2010

Responses for Oct 4th

The Computer for the 21st Century

In Weiser’s paper The Computer for the 21st Century, he discusses the importance of “drawing computers out of their electronic shells.” (p 20) Later in the paper he brings up the idea that “Pads”, computers that supersede paper, are an improvement because they will fill the role of paper, being able to be spread out and organized in the same way. While there are definite advantages to the physicality of objects, I feel that in this portion of the writing Weiser ignores the disadvantage of this technology. One advantage of a computer is that most of what is it done with it is contained inside it. You don’t have to deal with a computer completely covering your desk or losing your computer in a pile of clutter. I’m not saying that the advantages don’t outweigh the disadvantages or that since this writing people have lot looked at ways of overcoming these disadvantages, but I do think that it should be noted that there is a trade off when changing this technology.

Also in this paper, it is interesting to see how Weiser viewed technological change. He's got some things right, and some things wrong. For example, he writes that "At breakfast Sal reads the news. She still prefers the paper form, as do most people." This has not shown to be true. I guess we can only know so much about what technological changes will and won't take place.


Designing Calm Technology

I'm not sure what to really say about this. The utilization of the periphery in technology seems to be useful in giving us information without bombarding it. Making technology able to give us information without overloading is important for any good interface.